More Common American Phrases

Vocabulary lesson discussions.
ben@e52

More Common American Phrases

Postby ben@e52 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:03 am

Hello,

This is Teacher Ben at E52. Check out some more common American phrases below!

Born again
If you convert to Christianity or find a faith in Jesus Christ, you are born again.

Cold turkey
If you quit something cold turkey, you quit it in a sudden or abrupt manner. This is usually used in reference to alcohol or drugs.

Pull an all-nighter
If you stay up all night without going to sleep, you are pulling an all-nighter.

Hang out
To “hang out” is to spend time together in a casual way.

A dime a dozen
If something is cheap and common, it is a dime a dozen.

Hit the books
If you are studying, especially with some intensity, you plan on hitting the books.

Back-seat driver
A back-seat driver is someone in a vehicle that is not driving but is commenting too much on the driving and overly criticizing the driver of the vehicle.

Hang tight
When someone asks you to “hang tight”, they are asking you to wait patiently.

Dead ringer
A dead ringer is an exact duplicate or something extremely similar.

Cut to the chase
When someone asks you to cut to the chase, they are asking you to get to the point of the story.

Filthy rich
If someone is extremely rich to the point of being excessive or offensive, they are filthy rich.

Hold your horses

If someone asks you to hold your horses, it is a somewhat impolite way of asking you to wait a minute.

Loose cannon
If you are a loose cannon, you are an uncontrollable or unpredictable person who may cause some damage.

For sure
If someone responds to you by saying “for sure”, they really mean “definitely” or “certainly” – you usually say it when you are agreeing with something or someone.

Sacred cow
A sacred cow is an idea, custom, or institution held to be above any criticism, often unreasonably.

I hear you / I feel you
When you say “I hear you” or “I feel you”, you are actually listening to the person and you can relate to or agree with what they’re saying.

Off the chain
If something is very fun and exciting or out of control in a thrilling way, it is “off the chain”.

Bent out of shape
When someone is bent out of shape, they are angry, stressed, or irritated.

In no time
When something is happening “in no time”, it is happening very, very soon or happened extremely quickly.

Give props
When you give props, you show respect for or give recognition or acknowledgment to another person for something they did.

Bananas/ Nuts
If something is bananas or nuts, it is crazy or out of control.

Feel free to post a phrase or ask a question about any phrase that you’ve heard!

Cheers,
Ben at E52