What does this word mean?

Vocabulary lesson discussions.
aiden

What does this word mean?

Postby aiden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm

What does "tech bro" mean?
Is it positive or negative?
Could you give me some example sentences?
:P :P :P

ts112

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby ts112 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 pm

I think it depends on how and when you use it. If you are working in tech field and you describe yourself as "tech bro", It should be fine. But if you call someone who works in that field "tech bro", it can be insulting.

natannasantiago14

Postby natannasantiago14 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:44 pm

I think that the best way for u to know it to google it and u will be good ;) ;) ;) ;)

polinerabelo

Postby polinerabelo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 pm

What means "tech bro "? is it a jargon?

ben@e52

Postby ben@e52 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am

Hey aiden,

This is Ben at E52! Hopefully I can provide some assistance and help you define this word.

This is a great question, especially if you live in the Bay Area. If you do, you must hear this word a lot!

"Tech bro" usually has a negative connotation, especially if you work outside of the tech industry or are a local from the Bay Area that has seen the population change drastically over the years. If it is used negatively, it usually refers to a stereotypically masculine man that works in technology or in Silicon Valley that is usually white and middle to upper class. Sometimes it implies that you are confident, cocky, and have a bit of swagger, sometimes it implies that you are awkward and antisocial because of your interest in programming or computer science. The stereotype attached to this group focuses on tech bros being a clique or "boys club" that excludes women and promotes gender inequality in the industry. Many locals also dislike the "tech bros" because they say that they drove up the price of rent in and around San Francisco. The term "brogrammer" is also used interchangeably.

Here are some links to definitions and articles that focus more on the negative definition of the term:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ervillains

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/tech ... chang.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brogrammer

On the other hand, if you are speaking to other people, especially other men, in the tech community, the word can be used positively to build camaraderie. Many see it as a positive thing and simply think of it as a "sociable or outgoing programmer".

I hope this answers your question! Feel free to ask more questions about slang or vocabulary that you've heard :) .

Cheers,
Ben

englishteacher551

Postby englishteacher551 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:50 am

Yes! Ben's comment is spot on.

A "bro" in the general sense is usually a man who is masculine, confident, cocky (arrogant), and very extroverted.