5 ways to improve your writing in English

Writing lesson discussions.
englishteacher551

5 ways to improve your writing in English

Postby englishteacher551 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 pm

1. Master English Spelling

You must know how to spell words correctly. Incorrect spelling changes the meaning of your sentence. For example: ‘bare’ and ‘bear’ sound the same but ‘bare’ means naked and ‘bear’ is a large animal. Additionally, incorrect spelling makes it difficult for the reader to understand what you’ve written.

2.Just do it.

The best way to improve is get a pen and paper or sit in front of your computer and actually write. Be prepared to write several versions of each text because even for professional writers, the first draft is never perfect.

3. Write an outline.

Even in a very simple piece of English writing you need some kind of an organization to convey the message you want in a clear orderly way. There are many different ways to write outlines and these have much to do with the way you organize things in your mind.

4. Try to get someone to read what you’ve written

A teacher, a tutor, a native speaker: whoever masters the language and can help you understand and correct whatever mistakes you may have made.

Writing in English is not really something you can achieve immediately, but with hard, efficient work and gradual improvement you should definitely get there. Start writing very simple sentences and then get the challenge to write more elaborate pieces.

5. Learn how to expand your basic sentences into more elaborate ones

There are three basic sentence structures in English:

Subject – Verb (John studies; My friend is playing )
Subject – Verb – Adverb (These flowers are everywhere)
Subject – Verb – Noun (My father was a chemist)

Here are a few examples of how you can expand them:

John, my brother, studies at home. My long-life friend is always playing.

These small white flowers are everywhere during the summer.

My father, who passed away several years ago, was a well-known chemist.