why learning is different from speaking

Grammar lesson discussions.
bayan

why learning is different from speaking

Postby bayan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm

As we have grammar class nowadays, I am not sure if you have the same confusion: while we are learning new grammar, then we do the exercises. We are kind of know the new grammar well because we know how to finish the exercises. However, when we back to speaking, we still make the same mistake. Is it about lacking practice of speaking or we actually didn't know the grammar well?

natannasantiago14

Re: why learning is different from speaking

Postby natannasantiago14 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Let`s just hope that u keep going to ur english class then ur gonna be fine :) :) :D :D

englishteacher551

Postby englishteacher551 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 am

From a teacher's perspective, I think one major difference is:

Learning grammar in class and doing exercises uses deductive reasoning. In other words you use a lot of logic and reason. First you learn the rules and then practice the rules by doing exercises.

Speaking on the other hand tends to use more inductive reasoning. In other words you use more intuition and feeling (based on experience) to express yourself or answer a question. Decisions about how to answer a question orally are usually made at the moment of speaking, not planned out ahead of time.

Compare:
1. A musician playing a classical Beethoven song where he/she learned the sheet music. <-- Here the musician performs "deductively" i.e. he/she is following a set structure.

2. A musician playing classical music based on improvisation. To improvise is when the musician creates music spontaneously. <-- Here the musician performs "inductively" i.e. he/she does not follow a structure but plays based on what they already know.

vanessafdoval

Postby vanessafdoval » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:58 am

As a student, I can say that grammar and some accents are the hardest to improve.
I'm sure I've already learned all the grammar, but there are some situations where I prefer to talk quickly, and in those situations I forget the correct grammar.